Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2017) is an International examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular subject in the examination across several years. The score is used for admissions to post-graduate programs (e.g., M.E./M.Tech/ Direct Ph.D.) in centrally funded Indian Institutes of higher education (i.e., Institutes which are provided with financial assistance by MHRD and other Government agencies). The score is also used by Public Sector Undertakings(PSU Jobs through GATE) for employment processes in India for Electrical/Mechanical/Civil/Computer Science & IT Engineers. Direct recruitment to Group A level posts i.e., Senior Field Officer (SFO Tele), Senior Research Officer (SRO) (Crypto) and SRO (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat are also carried out on the basis of GATE scores.Admissions to Premier Courses like PGDIE in NITIE Mumbai is Also made Using GATE Score.
This year GATE 2017 examination shall be held in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates for admissions of candidates from these nationalities in IITs and IISc.GATE 2017 is Being Conducted by IIT Roorkee.
Importance of GATE 2017 Examination
- M.Tech /MS Courses in Premier IITs/IISC/NITs/NITIE Mumbai[PGDIE]
- Group A Gazetted Officers/Scientists Jobs in Research Organisations Like BARC,ISRO,DRDO etc
- Jobs in Public Sector Organisations Recruiting Via GATE Score like NTPC,IOCL,PGCIL,BHEL,NFL,DMRC,GAIL,BPCL etc
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Technical Expertise/Value Addition & Career Progression
Basic Features of GATE 2017 Examination
- Examinations for all the 23 papers (disciplines) will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). A candidate can appear only in any one paper of the GATE examination. The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type. A virtual on screen calculator only shall be used during
- Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
- GATE 2017 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) on 4th, 5th, 11th and 12th February 2017. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2017 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date, on the GATE 2017 website. The session timings at GATE International Centers as per their local time shall be notified well in
- For GATE 2017 the entire process of filling up of application form, uploading of certificates/documents , will be online and the candidates should not send any hard copy of their application form/documents etc., to IITR or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
- The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode; online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
- The admit cards for GATE 2017 would be available through the online process only. Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2017 website. Candidates need to download and print admit cards from gate website and NO printed copy of admit cards shall be sent by post to the
What’s New in GATE 2017
New Section in
|The XE (Engineering Sciences) paper now has a new section on Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (section H). With this the number of sections in the XE paper has increased to eight (A-H).|
February 4th, 5th 11th and 12th 2017 (tentative) in two sessions (Forenoon session: 9.00 AM-12.00 Noon; Afternoon session: 2.00 PM-5.00 PM). Any change in timings or sessions/dates shall be displayed on GATE website (www.gate.iitr.ernet.in)
The session timings at GATE International Centers according to their local time shall be notified well in advance.
GATE examinations shall be conducted in Bangladesh,
Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates. The pattern of examination remains same, exam timing/Center shall be notified in admit cards. The
International candidates should have completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Science in relevant subject or are in the final year of the program.
1) No restriction on second choice examination city to be in the same zone as first choice city. It can be anywhere in India.
2) Thumb impression of candidates needs to be uploaded during the application procedure.
3) Candidates who have completed the qualifying degree, need to upload scanned image of degree completion certificate or final year/semester mark sheet. However, candidates studying in the final year of their qualifying degree need to upload scanned image of third year (fifth/sixth semester) mark sheet, as proof of eligibility criterion. Similarly this applies to candidates of AMIE, AMICE and other similar programs.
Eligibility Criteria for GATE 2017 [for Indian Students]
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree/Examination (Descriptive)||Description of Eligible Candidates||Year of qualification cannot be later than|
|B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/ Technology)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2017|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (Five years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2017|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2017|
|M. Sc./ M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics / Statistics / Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2017|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (Four year program)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed||2019|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering / Technology (Five year program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2018|
|Int. M.Sc/ Int. B.Sc/M.Sc.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B. Sc/M. Sc. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2017|
|Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
|For GATE International Candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and UAE, the eligibility criteria to write GATE 2017 is: Candidates who have completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Science in a relevant subject or are in the final year of the program.|
Application Fee for GATE 2017 Exam
All candidates have to apply only ONLINE.Application Fee for GATE 2017 is NON REFUNDABLE
|Application Fee in|
|Online Net Banking||750|
|Online Net Banking||750|
All other candidates
|Online Net Banking||1500|
|GATE International candidates||Online net banking or credit card transaction||US dollars 50|
GATE 2017 Paper Duration & Marks
The GATE examination consists of a single paper of 3-hour duration that contains 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks. The question paper will consist of both multiple choice questions (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT) questions. The pattern of question papers is discussed in Section 5.3.
The examination for all the papers will be carried out in an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) mode where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. The candidates are required to either select the answer (for MCQ type) or enter the answer for numerical answer type question using a mouse on a virtual keyboard (keyboard of the computer will be disabled). Each candidate will be provided with a scribble pad for rough work. The scribble pad has to be returned after the examination. At the end of the 3-hour window, the computer will automatically close the screen from further actions
Pattern of GATE 2017 Question Papers
In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA).
In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
GATE 2017 would contain questions of two different types in various papers:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions.
For 1-mark multiple-choice questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark multiple-choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. There is NO negative marking for numerical answer type questions.
GATE 2017 Results Date
GATE 2017 results will be announced on March 27, 2017 at 17:00 hours and will be available on the GATE Online Application Website.
GATE 2017 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
GATE 2017 results may be made available on payment basis to Government organizations (Educational Institutions, R & D Laboratories, Industries, etc.) in India and abroad based on a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee and the organization intending to use the GATE score. Details in this regard can be obtained from The Organizing Chairman, GATE 2017, Indian Institute of Technology – Roorkee.
Important Dates for GATE 2017 Exam:
|GATE 2017 Online Examination Dates:||February 4 – 5, 2017 & February 11 – 12, 2017 (Saturdays and Sundays only)|
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrollment, Application Filling, Application Submission||September 1, 2016 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||October 4, 2016 (Tuesday)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||November 16, 2016 (Wednesday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||January 5, 2017 (Thursday)|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 27, 2017 (Monday)|
Visit GATE Official Website
If You are Not Preparing for GATE but still Interested in PSU/CPSE Then You Must See Latest PSU Jobs Without GATE Score